Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paper Route - Absence













This album is getting rave reviews across the board from magazines and people who I thought had some taste. What do I know? Better yet what do they know? It is catchy and I would rather hear this than most of what is played on the radio, but that isn't saying much. Paper Route is the easy listening version of the Postal Service.

Loops in the music, an over polished voice, and a major label budget just couldn't make anything about this stand out. The best song is the first one, Enemy Among Us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

first of all there's two singers.
second of all, seriously postal service ? do you write your reviews based on band names alone ? i'd hate to see what you think of all the "wolf" bands. great job !!
maybe you should stick to trusting the magazines and people with "good taste".

Iamhereforthedrugs said...

I guess I should have said two over polished voices? After listening to the release about 3-4 more times they were entirely unidentifiable and I would have still thought there was only the one vocalist.

Postal Service only due to the simplified loops and repetitive dance beats. That isn't to say that I dislike the Postal Service in the slightest, but just that upon first examination these guys couldn't keep up to what Ben Gibbard was already doing years prior.

Maybe you should stick with trusting the magazines and the people with the subjectively good taste. I do not mind the criticism and I will reply to all of it I get over time, so feel free to write back again.

Anonymous said...

i agree, this album is doo doo

Anonymous said...

Saw them last night.
Best live show I've ever seen.
Bought the album and it's easily one of the best albums I've bought in years.
"This album is doo doo ?" and "Postal Service" ?
I guess it makes sense why you write reviews for albums on this website instead of professionally.
I'm sad that I actually clicked on this to read it.